Sergio Reguilon Transfer Twist: Manchester United Exit to Borussia Dortmund in January?
The 26-year-old has made ten appearances for the Red Devils this season, including seven in the Premier League. Last weekend, he participated in the entire 90 minutes of the league match against Bournemouth.
Shaw only made his three-month comeback, but because of injuries in that part of the field, the Englishman has occasionally been employed in central defence.
Reguilon did not play as a substitute against Bayern Munich on Tuesday in the Champions League. However, he could play this weekend against Liverpool because Harry Maguire might not be available, which could mean that Shaw—who is back from a hamstring injury—will be needed in the middle alongside Raphael Varane.
Reguilon’s contract does have a break option, though, so he could rejoin his original team, Tottenham, in January.
Erik Ten Hag, the head coach of the Red Devils, told reporters earlier this month, “For that we have to make a final decision but there is another club Spurs involved in it as well.”
Dortmund is reportedly closely monitoring the situation as Malacia is anticipated to return in early 2024, which may cause Reguilon to fall further in the standings.
BVB wants a left-back backup in January because Ramy Bensebaini will be playing for Albania at the Africa Cup of Nations, according to Sky Deutschland.
Fran Garcia of Real Madrid has also been connected to the German team; however, Reguilon is thought to be a more likely target, and talks could begin in the coming weeks.
When asked about the left-back position, Dortmund manager Edin Terzic told reporters on Friday, “The left-back position was a topic that we discussed in the summer, as we know that Ramy will not be available to us during the Africa Cup of Nations.”
“We’re having a few thoughts internally, but we’re also thinking about bringing someone in from outside.”
Prior to joining Tottenham in 2020, Reguilon began his professional career at Real Madrid. He has made 67 appearances for the London team in all competitions.
The defender is under contract with Spurs until June 2025, but it’s uncertain if Ange Postecoglou, the head coach of the capital team, has him in mind for the future.